Shelllady

Shelllady

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Buried Shelling


 It was pretty cloudy first thing, but the sunrise still gave us some beautiful color.



Shelling has slowed down quite a bit the last couple of days, but there is always something different to try. My Dad loved to dig, he would carefully look for a place that appeared to have buried pen shells, and he would sit right down, in the tidal pool or along the shoreline and dig. He would stay there for hours, and many times would go back to the same spot many days in a row.  It usually paid off for him too.

I thought about him today as I was doing a little bit of digging around the pen shells in the tidal pool.
 Most things in the tidal pool were live, like this BEAUTIFUL True Tulip, so I walked along the shoreline.
Sure enough, I walked on down the beach and found an area that looked like it might prove interesting....Do you see it? <You can click on the pic to make it larger>
The trick is, you have to get it between waves because the tide was coming in. Sometimes you'll miss some things as the waves pull them out and take them back into the gulf.
I found this pretty petite alphabet cone that way too!
Not too bad, Huh?  I think Daddy would be pretty proud!! :)
Love the spines on this jewel-box pair!
I even found this Cardita pair this way, first time I found both sides still together!

Will post tonight with today's finds!

::Shelllady Hugs::

6 comments:

  1. Love that spiny jewel box pair! And the cardita! I haven't found a pair of the cardita, yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moira, I love the spiny jewel boxes! Already have too many! ;)

      Delete
  2. Love your pictures and your stories. Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remembered you telling me about you and your dad digging for shells and I tried it on several of our trips to Sanibel. I only found a honey hole one time, but boy, did it pay off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it really does pay off Kim, think I found a Honey Hole today, but the waves chased me off!! :(

      Delete