Shelllady

Shelllady

Friday, August 10, 2018

Day Two, Red Tide Shelling

I decided to wear scuba boots today while shelling....hindsight is 20-20 right?! They're not very sexy, but protection is key at this point! 

Today was somewhat different, I noticed a few times, little bit stronger urge to cough, and my nose ran just a bit. So the Red Tide is still present, I noticed other folks coughing as well. The stinky smell was a bit stronger today...the beach however was MUCH better! Little to no fish along the water, even at low tide....there were still a few on the highest tide line....tiny flounder, eels....and a few catfish. 
The water was a bit cloudy, but not as dark....
and parts of the tidal pool was crystal clear..
I get so excited now to see life in the water....

we saw almost a dozen live starfish!
and a couple live Apple Murex....
Lightning Whelk....
...and this guy! I think Cheri was right! I believe it's a Fireworm! If we were right, according to the books, this guy can give you a painful sting!
We did find a few treasures today.... a Gaudy Nautica (sorry pic out of focus)
a few Shark's eyes, these had partial bodies still in them, needed to be cleaned out..... :(
I did find an Alphabet cone....and a BIG Jingle....
Cheri found this awesome Florida cone, and I never can resist a bright orange Scallop!
This is a HUGE Olive!
I found a nice Baby's Ear....Cheri found 3 more of these!
and the color of this Nutmeg!
There were quite a few Sand dollars floating in the tidal pools and along the edges...of course I had to pick up a few! ;)
Sanibel seems to be working hard to keep it all cleaned up....Cheri said that Blind Pass was in terrible shape and the smell was awful....I'm afraid it will continue to be a work in progress for a long time!

Stay tuned!

::Shelllady Hugs::


No comments:

Post a Comment