Shelllady

Shelllady

Saturday, August 18, 2018

A Bittersweet Day

I decided to go back to my 'mini vacation' spot, from yesterday, Turner Beach, Captiva Island. I don't expect to fill my bag from any shells, So I've been happy with one special shell per day.....today they were Bittersweet Shells....


This is the only beach I've seen them, and they aren't very plentiful...but today I'd say they were!
I got a second special shell today....see it?
A Flat (ZigZag Scallop)
and another!

So already my day is complete!


I can't get over seeing the clear water....and being able to walk barefoot! You can see to the bottom in my shadow...it's just over knee deep....

Guess I shoulda got a picture of my knees, huh?! :)


There is a school of HUGE fish in this pic....
I couldn't see well enough to catch them in the center of the pic....the sun was too bright! There is one I caught in this pic...
There were more birds....a flock of Ruddy Turnstone were playing on the beach too!
I found this also...I have no idea what animal it is from, but I couldn't resist checking it out!

Orange was obviously the color of the day....I found several orange Scallops of all sizes! (I couldn't resist the tellin and piece of an orange Flat, wouldn't that have been a treasure if it was whole?!)
On my walk back to the car I found this special tiny guy..... He was alive....

...but he seemed very sluggish....I helped him to the water, and then was concerned that he may not be a water turtle....the waves washed him back to the shore....so I reluctantly left him, hoping he would find his way, whichever way that was supposed to be! 

I left Captiva and headed back to the other end of Sanibel to the Lighthouse, to meet Cheri to look for some minis..... She had found another tiny Arrow Dwarf Triton!....
Today was multiple day for me....apparently worm shells were plentiful also!
On the bottom left is an operculum (door) for a shark's eye....wentletraps above that with a TINY Lightning Whelk....Worm shells and 2 shark's eye...Big and Tiny!

I decided not to take pictures of the brown/orange water at the lighthouse, I have taken Wayyyy too many of them, it was fairly clear, though Brown and fairly stinky.  We did notice some Red Tide in the air....The city had several vehicles out there picking up fish....unfortunately that is the norm here lately. 

Cheri went out tonight at took some Beautiful Sunset pictures....it makes you forget about what's going on....if only for a minute!


Stay Tuned...

::Shelllady Hugs::

2 comments:

  1. I have been following your latest shelling adventures and appreciate your reports on conditions at the various Sanibel beaches. We're headed down to Kissimmee in a couple of weeks and will want to go to Sanibel if things improve there. Wish it was as pristine as it used to be.TFS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don’t expect it to get better very quickly RuthAnne, especially since Lake O is continuing to dump there! :(

      Delete