Shelllady

Shelllady

Monday, May 29, 2017

Tidal Pool Minis

If you have been following my posts, you know that I was trying to decide whether to go to Sanibel Lighthouse, or back to the new found tidal pools.  I sort of decided as I was on the way to try the lighthouse.  As I was crossing the Causeway, I could not believe how many people were there....EVERYWHERE!! Parked all over the grass, the beach, there was absolutely no where to park, people crossing back and forth trying to find a place to park...it was a mad house.  I continued on and turned toward the lighthouse, and it was just as bad...people lined up to find waiting for someone to leave so they could park...at all 3 parking lots!!  NOOOO! This was not for me!  So I headed back to my safe place, Gulfside City Park.  I had no problem finding a spot, and off I went....a little late due to the detour and fighting to get around everyone...but I was finally on my way down the beach.

I noticed that the water was much clearer today...
 
The tidal pools didn't seem to be nearly as productive as they had been previously.... I did find an Alphabet and Florida Cone....But I didn't keep them, way too worn!  I know, now I'm getting picky!! ;)  I did keep the little Horse Conch!

I guess because I was going to the lighthouse, where I typically find minis, I did start noticing minis... Though the Wentletrap on the left is pretty large, a large mini!! 
Above the Wentletrap I believe is a Stocky Cerith, mini horseconchs, a tiny Shark's eye, a bright orange ribbed Cantharus, a tiny Lightning Whelk and at the top, the smallest sunray venus I have ever seen!
A few more steps and I found this Top shell, an Auger, another mini Horse conch, Shark's eye and a juvenile Fighting Conch.

I thought for a second I had scored a small Alphabet Cone....NOT, it was just the top and one side!
Then I had a bit of a dry spell, saw a lot of live shells....tonight I saw this BEAUTIFUL Live Paper Fig....Isn't he Gorgeous? Look at that color!!

I don't know what the black things are along the edge, but isn't he awesome, it felt very strange crawling on my hand.....I carefully put him back into the tidal pool where I found him!

I found this Huge piece of Coral there too!
This Banded Tulip has had a really hard life!!
I did find this pretty little True Tulip....
it was empty so into my shell bag he went, along with this almost albino little pear whelk....
and a few more minis
From top, a tiny Pear Whelk, Button shell, Mini lace murex and a tiny banded tulip
On my trip back to the car, I noticed some more 'wildlife' and couldn't resist taking a couple of videos...

A live long spined Sea Urchin...
I was trying to catch this little crab playing peek-a-boo under this pen shell, and noticed some movement beside him, check this guy out.....your guess is a s good as mine as to what he is...he was about and inch or inch and a half long...how neat is this little guy?! He looks like something out of an aquarium!
I spent all day today at the Shellcrafters and had a great time, so no more shelling for me, as I had to pack up tonight, but check back. It won't be too long before I will be posting....I might show you some of the awesome shellcrafts we do....and I'll be back home to Ft. Myers pretty soon! 

Thanks so much for coming along with me!

::Shelllady Hugs::

4 comments:

  1. I would love to see some of the shell crafts you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, Kim, I'll post some one of these here days!! :D

      Delete
    2. Cheri
      Pre post blog alert! We will be in paradise on Saturday the 10th. Time to blow some dust off the blog.

      Delete
    3. AWESOME RC....will look for it!!!

      Delete