Shelllady

Shelllady

Sunday, May 24, 2020

Social Distancing Florida Style

If I've got to have social distancing...what better place than Florida?! I have taken a couple of nice walks on the beach, and after the holiday weekend, I'm hoping to take a few more before we leave. Most public parking is still closed on Sanibel so it is difficult to get there, otherwise you would be getting more frequent posts! :) These pictures are a group from different places...
My favorite find so far is this horse conch....I know beauty is in the eye of the (be)holder....right?
What do you think now?

I soaked it in bleach water for days, frequently removing it and using a pic, knife, and a strong brush...then putting it back in the water...I'd say it was worth it!! This is my favorite size Horse Conch!

I also love these Atlantic Wing Oysters....they are so fragile and aren't real common, they insides are always iridescent...this trip I found 3!
I picked up a few Wentletraps...another favorite!
Beautiful True Tulip...
and I found this Spiny Jewel box with my foot!!!!!!
Nice one, but would have preferred to find it the 'old fashioned way'!

I got a few minis also....(notice the inside of the Wing Oysters)
That's a penny in there to give you a size comparison...

look at that Albino Sharks eye...my Daddy would be proud...as I've said before, Sharks eyes were his favorite!

I saw a lot of Life while I was on these walks, that means as much...or even more to me than the shelling....

How about this Sea Star??...Sea X??? How cool is that?
There were lots of Sea Stars out there....



I even had the pleasure of seeing a Dolphin slowly swimming and feeding...
and of course, I love my Pelicans!!


I've been spending lots of time painting shells and hiding them either early morning or late evening. It keeps people from seeing me being sneaky and keeps me away from people. Here's a few I've just finished... so fun!!

and of course, I have needed to restock since it looks like we'll be staying in for at least a while longer....
I hope you all are well and I hope to post more soon!!
Back to the paint brush!!! Stay Tuned!


::Shelllady Hugs::

2 comments:

  1. Your horse conch turned out beautiful and I'd definitely say your work was worth it. You are a very good artist with those painted shells! Do you mind my asking what is the correct etiquette if someone finds one of these? Is the intention to leave it be or for people to keep? I noticed people have been doing the same with painted rocks on the trails here near my house in Sacramento, but we didn't take any of them. Thanks again for sharing and my husband and I always love your photos and insight into Sanibel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Sanibel Shells site, we advertise to keep or rehide them, I think proper etiquette is to paint some and place one there of your own....but definitely keep it if it speaks to you!! That is what has kept me (somewhat) sane during all this!! I don't like to just sit....I have to always be doing something!! Thanks so much for your kind comments and for coming along with me!!

      Delete