Shelllady

Shelllady

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Geocaching!!

I believe that there is a subtle magnetism in Nature, which, if we unconsciously yield to it, will direct us aright.  ~Henry David Thoreau




We finally got a chance to go geocaching!!  For those of you who have not heard of it, it's basically a scavenger hunt! There are literally millions of these things on the globe....and everyone is a tricky find, some more than others!  I got interested in it after reading this from fellow blogger Kim....and it peaked my interest since I used to be hooked on online scavenger hunts...this is just better...it makes you go outside, walk and checkout nature!! She even added a tab on her blog here that is very helpful!! 


What fun it is!  My daughter and I have talked about it for a while, and I studied up on it on the internet and gathered some stuff to give away (swag) and made some log sheets in case some needed replacing, grabbed the camera, gps and ipad and we went right after she got into town!! We plan on doing some of this next month while we are all in Sanibel....I'm going to make some shell crafts to give! I'm excited!!  We took pictures of our very first find!!


The GPS got us in the area....we looked for some place to hide something....hmmm see the hole in this tree at the bottom?

Let's look a little closer.......

Closer yet....hmmm a rock...that's a funny place for a rock!

Looks like a rock...but turn it over.....

....voila...a cover and there it is!!  This one had a quarter, we traded the quarter for a couple of things, since there were 2 of us, we signed the log sheet with our geocache names, and of course, you close it all up, and put it back Exactly where you found it for the next one to find!!  When you get home, you 'log' the find online and the fun begins, the internet keeps track for you!!

This one was a large one inside this tree!.....we have 8 now....Not much, but we're working this all in with everything else we want to do while Jess is here!

We got to see the BEAUTIFUL Bluebird during our trek through the woods!
 Jess and I spent a while yesterday on my gardens, planted my new princess lilies, hybiscus trees and moving other plants around.....it was a lot of fun, I think she enjoys digging in the dirt like I do....it really is therapeutic!


Here are some more pics of some of my flowers...spring is always so pretty here!!


Primrose
Peonies


Peonies

My 'Patriotic Plant' has sure filled in!!



Lilies are opening up!



And hubby's favorite birds...the gold finches are beautiful!!

We plan on fishing trip with My Dad for tomorrow, hopefully I will have great fish tales to tell when we return!!

::Hugs::

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad I thought to hop over to your blog to see if you wrote about geocaching and I was so happy to see that you did. Sounds like you and Jess are off and running on a new fun hobby! I'm so glad I blogged about it and got you excited about this fun hobby. You guys did GREAT on your first trip out! Have fun on your trip with your dad. (Check for caches in the area) I loved your flower pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! I've never heard of geocaching but it looks fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you guys had a blast! I bet it was fun!

    Your flower pics are beautiful, and the patriotic plants are just lovely! It will be huge by July!

    ReplyDelete