Shelllady

Shelllady

Thursday, January 9, 2020

A Live-ly Adventure

Although we had big negative low tides this morning, the shelling wasn't great, but as you know, Team Cheri always has an adventure....we saw lots of life out there! As usual we started way too early in the morning for the 'normal' person...that's when the lowest tides are!! There were lots of other abnormal people out there too!!! Dedication....right?!

I started out finding an Angel Wing, and thought it was a sign of a great shelling day...

Cheri and I both noticed that there were so many live Scallops!
These little guys are so fun....they sit and open and close their shells, if in a tidal pool, the will squirt water out and shoot around the pool, they are so lively and fun!

A first for me was this live Egg Cockle that Cheri spotted...
and of course, there are always a bunch of live Cockles...These guys are pretty fun too...sometimes they'll squirt you when you walk by...

The Sea Urchins cover themselves frequently, I only assume that is a form of protection...usually it's with small shells....this guy has a whole roof over his head!!! How cool is that?!

This Lighting Whelk must have been the perfect location for these sea Anemones!

There were quite a few Sea Stars out there this morning too...I think these are Small Spine Sea Stars....Love these guys!


There were quite a few Sand Dollars...these guys weren't alive...
  
But this one was....Cheri rescued this one and took him to deeper water...look how large he is!
We met a lady that was carrying this guy in her pocket....she found him on Monday and her friend made her show him off to us...what a beauty! This is the much sought after Junonia!

They say that a Junonia finds you, you don't find it....I have pieces and one with a couple of Large holes in it...so I am one of the ones waiting for one to find me...this was this ladies third (I believe)!


Cheri did find a nice Alphabet Cone...it's a bit Freaky as it has a 'bevel' around the top, not flat as usual....

and I found a nice Lightning Whelk that I couldn't pass up...
I also found another Albino Fighting Conch...
We didn't find much to carry home, but I always love finding the live stuff and sharing it!

....and of course the sunrises on Sanibel are the best!


The super low tides continue...So Stay Tuned, I'll continue the search and bringing you the results!

::Shelllady Hugs::

1 comment:

  1. I’m here staying on Sanibel just arrived last night I would love to possibly meet up. I’m also a Shellinator if you want to look me up. 😊

    ReplyDelete