Shelllady

Shelllady

Sunday, June 24, 2018

A Short Trip...

Last night's trip was a little bit short, I wouldn't walk too far away, as thunderstorms were all around the island, and the tide wasn't very low so it was difficult to see into the water. Very cloudy!.....
The tide at it's lowest did make it so I could see a little bit in the tidal pool...I know I've mentioned it before, this is my favorite type of shelling....slow and steady with lots of concentration! The best therapy there is, for me!
Pretty soon I started finding a few treasures...

A Nice Shiny Olive Shell....
Hooorah...an Alphabet Cone! Not pristine, but into my bag it went!
I found lots of Nutmegs...of every size...
and for some reason, I still can't pass up a dark Lightning Whelk!....here with another Olive (for you Sheila) and a Juvenile Fighting Conch with a cool pattern...lots of these little guys out there!
The highlight of the trip was this Scallop!

It's HUGE and perfect! I've done a little research, and I believe it's called a Ravenel Scallop....it is very deep and concaved...almost as much as a cockle...and if I read it correctly, I think the top is flat!.....I looked around but couldn't find the top half of it....what a find that would be!   If anyone thinks I'm wrong about this, please let me know! Don't you love it when you find something new and have to 'hit the books' to look things up?

There were several live sand dollars that had washed up, so I carefully placed them back in the tidal pool....I love these guys!
I also came across this live Shark's eye....
with the Operculum still attached!


The tides and the storms pushed me out, but I headed home a happy customer....with plans on returning soon! Stay tuned!

::Shelllady Hugs::

2 comments: