Shelllady

Shelllady

Friday, March 9, 2018

Island Hopping!

I'm back!!! For a short while anyway....it was time for some beach therapy so I flew down on Wednesday for a week. Not long, but I'll take it! 

I had the opportunity to go Kayaking (for the first time) with some friends down around 10,000 islands, near Marco Island, South of Ft. Myers. I missed out since I had to leave early last trip, so I jumped on the invitation this time! We left early yesterday morning, and shelled among the mangroves....how about that for a tropical adventure?! Great way to start a vacation....

Cheri, Cindy, Donnie and I kayaked out first thing, we got to see the sunrise as we paddled...looks like snow doesn't it?

You have to walk slowly and look everywhere, with the changing tides shells end up everywhere among the trees....
and such a variety! Every beach is different!

Huge Sunray Venus, Lace Murex and a spiky Jewel Box pair....
 From the bottom, an Angel Wing, 2 False Angel Wings, a huge Jingle and a Pear Whelk....
 The colors on the Florida Cones are amazing....
 Here is another couple of Spiky Jewel box pairs among the rubble....

Even on the limbs was another Lace Murex...
 Lots of Top Shells....Gold and Maroon ones!
 Check out how dark this Nutmeg is...Love this one!
There was so much to see....Osprey nesting...
...There were trees covered in Barnacles....


Live Periwinkles in the tree stumps....I love these guys...
We spent the whole day looking at everything....So very much to see...

Cheri ended up with a Junonia....Not perfect, but ANY Junonia is an excellent find!
My highlight was this Awesome Rose Murex....just laying there in the sand, waiting for me!
and for my Grandson Joseph I picked up Chase, from Paw Patrol! (I think he will be tickled!)
But, no luck with the Alphabet Cones....I have lost the knack of finding these guys....on the way back I spotted spots in the sand...could it be??
 Yes!! I did get an Alphabet!

 We all did very well, and came home with full shell bags...Here are my finds...
A few mini Horse Conchs...
Beautiful Laces....

 Lots of Angel Wings....
 Florida Cones of every color....
Lots of minis.....you know I love the minis!
The highlight for me was the Rose Murex....and I even found Wentletraps!
 The colors seem more vivid on these shells....check out this Jewel Box after it was cleaned...it even has color in the spikes!


Stay tuned! I hope to have a few more adventures!!!

::Shelllady Hugs::









2 comments: