Shelllady

Shelllady

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Hundreds of Hermits and A Perfect End to the Day!

There were tons of minis in the water at Sanibel Lighthouse yesterday morning....and almost everyone of them was occupied! Most with VERY energetic Hermit Crabs....


 I always wonder when they pick a shell like this Pear Whelk how hard it must be to maneuver! 

I found a beautiful Live King's Crown also....
I found this beauty too....and it was NOT live, so he quickly went into my Shell Bag, Daddy would be proud!
I found another small Alphabet Cone, but he is old and worn, good enough, he came along too.
I found a few other little treasures is a new shell pile...Coral, Worm shell, Olives, a tiny True Tulip and a Pear Whelk that should clean up nicely.
I decided to head on down the beach away from the lighthouse as I hadn't been there in a while, I saw LOTS of Fighting Conchs, Lightning Whelks, I have recently sworn off the keeping the Lightning Whelks as I have way too many....let someone else. I came across another shell pile area, small stuff this time.... A Baby's ear, True Tulip, and Jewel Box pairs...
I am always amazed how these fragile Paper Figs always show up in perfect shape after a storm...
I also saw this guy walking along the bottom, it's the BIGGEST crab I have ever seen, didn't get close enough to see what kind he was...Look at those Claws!
Another shell pile showed me the top of this guy, I admit, I couldn't refuse it, the colors were beautiful and it was empty!

I walked back toward the lighthouse, this time, just along the break of the water...came across an area that had a LOT of Fighting Conchs half buried in the sand...I noticed some small points sticking up, I started moving aside the fightning conchs, and worked my fingers in the sand....and after a little bit I pulled this beautiful guy out!
Is that amazing or what?! Top view....

It was very stinky and I rinsed out bits and pieces of the him over and over again....I think he got trapped there and died in place....This is a Lightning Whelk I will be keeping....for a LONG time!! 

What a GREAT way to end my walk!?

Update:  Here he is all cleaned up!

Aren't the colors Amazing?! I'm a happy Girl!

Stay tuned!

::Shelllady Hugs::

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on that amazing whelk! What a beauty! And that shark's eye is really big and pretty as well.

    ReplyDelete