Shelllady

Shelllady

Sunday, November 13, 2022

A Little work and Play...

We had another Hurricane....Have you heard? Nicole (Cat 1 for a short time) came in on the East Coast and then turned North, adding insult to injury to Florida. We saw very little, a day or so of off and on rain and a little wind. So again, we were lucky here! We got the garage door fixed, it was only minor. I worked on getting the cardboard boxes out and replaced them with plastic boxes and cleared half the garage of stuff....and Hubby got it cleaned up while I was on a shelling trip!! So we are progressing back to normal pretty quickly. 

We also celebrated our 25th Anniversary, we weren't able to head out to Sanibel, where we went for the first time on our honeymoon... but we are close! It was a nice quiet day, we spent it together and then went out for a nice meal at one of our favorite restaurants! Perfect!!

Before I came down, I found out from Jolene that she had booked a shelling trip to Keewaydin on Veteran's Day. Keewaydin is an island that is reached by boat, from Marco Island, about and hour south of Fort Myers. So I called and booked it too, I barely got in as the boat was full! We've been on this trip before, but following the latest 2 hurricanes, Ian and Nicole, we were hoping that the shelling would be great! We stay out of the water, as the water is full of bacteria from the storms, but there is a lot of beach to shell!!!

We book with the Hemingway Water Shuttle, great company, Family operated business and



I highly recommend them if you ever have the opportunity! They start out at Rose Marina in Marco, a BEAUTIFUL morning...


and It's just a short ride to the island...


This is Jack, the first Mate....He greets everyone as they board, and is the first on and off the boat!!

There were several areas like this with just clusters of shells....you have to look very carefully so you don't miss any treasures, 


Everyone tends to rush to the same area, so I usually find my self rushing through...I finally slowed down and began to find stuff...Like this Alphabet Cone peeking out of a pen shell...



and this colorful Nutmeg! Look how dark it is!!


There were several live shells also, we don't take live shells, so it's important to check carefully...like this BEAUTIFUL Rose Murex....one of my favorites!!
But Alas, it was alive....

So into the Gulf it went!

But it paid off! I found this one also!!!

and it was not alive!!!! Wahoo!!! Score!

This Horse Conch, my favorite size, was hugging onto this pen shell, obviously alive...
But this one was not!! Score...again!!
I tried to save this little Pygmy Octopus, but I don't think he will make it, there was very little movement but I did get him into the water.

Another great find of the day, and a first for me is this Cabrits Murex!!

It has a small hole in it, but if you look closely it's still a little pink on the top! This is what they look like. I'm tickled with it, it will be kept someplace special!

Here are all the finds for the day! 



and my Favorites....
From the left, A Florida Cone, Rose Murex, Cabrits Murex, Lace Murex and Horse Conch, at the bottom is a mini Alphabet cone! Some who have been since the storm, including Jolene said it was not as lucrative this trip as it has been, but I can't complain... after all, it's beach therapy!

Stay Tuned!

::Shelllady Hugs::









 

No comments:

Post a Comment