Shelllady

Shelllady

Monday, December 6, 2021

Delayed departure: Negative Tide trips

Hubby and I had planned on heading back to Virginia this last weekend, but looking at the tides, we realized that the lows go to -1.1! That is a super low tide and one that is that low doesn't happen very often. Of course I couldn't resist and we decided to stay a few more days...(any excuse to stay in paradise!) 😉 

Liz and I went out on Friday just before sunrise in hopes of finding some treasures....unfortunately there hasn't been very strong winds to bring in the shells as we had hoped, but we didn't do too badly.  Of course it was a beautiful morning and a beautiful walk and sunrise! You know me by now, I love the sunrises....!! 

I didn't take very many pictures this trip.... Sunrise and shells....perfect!! 

Liz did well I think....Lightning Whelks, Huge Sharks eyes, Horse Conchs and a Lace Murex...


I forgot to take a picture until I had already put them in for a bleach bath, I did manage to get 5 Alphabet cones in various condition...and of course, I gotta find those Shark's eyes, a nutmeg (bottom right) and some mini Lighning whelks and gaudy nautica!

The next morning I got up and went solo to the lighthouse, there was absolutely nothing there but live Cockles....strangest thing! I didn't even take a picture and left before sunrise!! It was a beautiful morning and I still had a nice long walk!


The next morning, yesterday, Hubby decided he wanted to go out there and see what he could find! He doesn't go very often, so it is special when he does! It was a beautiful morning, and we got there just as the sun rose....


The tidal pools were out and we slowly shelled them to find treasures....shelling wasn't great ....but it's always fun! Hubby got Apple Murex, a Nice Gaudy Nautica, Huge Sharks eye (his first that size in a very long time) Banded tulips, Lightning Whelks, One of those I believe is an Albino....which is fairly rare, A Florida Cone (center) some Juvenile Fighting Conchs and a couple nutmegs...and at the very bottom a Bubble shell!


My finds.... of course Sharks eyes, a beater cone (we call them that when they're not perfect) aI also got an mini Lightning Whelk,  a couple nutmegs, I also got a small Gaudy Nautica, a Horse Conch, some olives and a handful of colorful coquina pairs!


This morning, Jolene and I decided to head out in the fog to the mudflats....there's always something cool to see there even if you don't fill up your shell bag!!

It was a bit spooky as it was so foggy just as the sun came up....


There were many less shells this time, but much more live things to see! Horseshoe crabs of every size...Here's a video of one of about half dozen that were running around this much larger one....check out the trails!

I found this little one, I believe is just a 'shell'....


Here's one that is a little bit larger....


I googled to see what a group of pelicans is called, I had many choices....so here is a Pod, squadron, pouch or scoop of Pelicans that slowly flew by....


I believe that is a little blue heron between us and them.....

We even got to see 3 Roseate Spoonbills...Bright pink! Unfortunately my camera didn't get the coloring right, but we spent a lot of time watching these guys....I had to use the digital zoom as we didn't want to spook them! (Notice the Mangroves in the background!)


You can see the pink a little bit better in this fuzzy picture I took as one of them flew away...


As we turned around from watching these beautiful birds, there were 2 dolphin swimming by, and they got a little shallow I believe and stirred the water up, of course I didn't catch it on camera....but oh, what fun to see!

There were quite a few live King's crowns like this one, but many had Hermit crabs in them!

                              

There were several Thorny Sea Stars in the Sea grass....



Lots of HUGE live Sand dollars....

A Blue Crab....

Jolene went home with this awesome Oyster cluster....

and I saw a crop circle!!!


along with all this other stuff, we did manage to find some empty Kings Crowns....

They're all different....some have big spikes like this one Jolene found....

Each one has a different pattern, wide stripes, different colors....and they take a while to clean properly! But it's usually worth it! As Jolene said today...'it's a process'. To make something that starts out like this....

Look clean and beautiful!!! 😆 I will have to show you an 'after' photo later when we get back!!

Jolene ended up with 20 King's crowns and a few more Rose Tellins!

So we head back to Virginia tomorrow....I will get to see my Grandsons and spend a few days with them while their Mom and Dad and friends go on an adventure of their own. Then I will head home for a quiet Christmas with my Hubby and then our plan is to head back down....to have some more adventures!


I hope you all have a Very Merry Christmas and thanks for stopping by and going along with me on our adventures! We are hoping for many more to come soon! 

Stay Tuned!


::Shelllady Hugs::










4 comments:

  1. Just wanna comment that you have a very nice site, I the style and design it actually stands out.
    That’s not me not used to blogging and actually value internet site. You can find much innovative content that peaks my interest.


    Read More: German shepherd husky mix

    ReplyDelete