Shelllady

Shelllady

Sunday, May 19, 2019

Gone to the Birds!

Hey all! I'm back in Ft. Myers, and have been since Tuesday....so this post will be a 'catch-up' on what's been going on! I have a new hobby, that has been pretty time consuming, especially while I'm here....It's painting and hiding shells for others to find, and keep or rehide....sounds strange, but it is so fun AND addicting!! So I painted/made several before we left Virginia and have been painting since we arrived in Florida!....I'll post all about it another time!

Team Cheri has gotten together, most evenings and gone Wentling....one of our favorite past times! It doesn't give you a huge shell bag, but Wentletraps are so fun to find! Cheri is the Queen, because she has an amazing eye for them!

This is just a couple of trips! The shelling hasn't been great, but the water is beautiful, and a slight breeze makes the beach walks amazing!

The Sea Stars have been very plentiful....all alive and healthy!!

Cheri took me to a local park, for some Bird-nerding....I had never been to Lakes park, and I WILL be returning! It's a great place for Grown-ups, Bird-Nerds and Kids! 
It's a beautiful place!!!  



I found out that the airplants grow all over the place here..wild!! I never thought about it and was amazed as we took a walk along the path!!! (I know, I sound like a tourist!! ;)





The first bird we saw was a Common Gallinule.... family with 6 Babies!...these are really cool looking birds....

with HUGE feet....

check out this baby....Those feet!!
We saw Anhingas... striking a pose...
a Red bellied Woodpecker...
a pair of Limpkin
peeking out the reeds...
a Little Green Heron..check out the beautiful color on this guy!

The birds weren't only at the park....several nights we watched this Reddish Egret fishing in the tidal pools....he does this amazing little dance, I've gotten a video before...several years ago, but couldn't seem to catch him on camera this time...but here's just one of his moves!! 
Cheri has a family of Pileated Woodpeckers in a tree by her house....she got some amazing pictures of them! How adorable are these guys?

There is also a family of Osprey in a nest on the Chimney at the Lighthouse
The "babies" which are nearly grown, sit on branches nearby, begging Mom and Dad to bring them food!!
I think he's big enough to get his own food....don't you?

As I said earlier, the shelling hasn't been great, but I have found a few favorites....yesterday was cone day, apparently!

I have no idea what the cone on the Left is....do you? Of course, the one in the center is an Alphabet and the other is a Florida Cone....I've looked through all my books and can't find the salmon colored one!!
Found a nice size Shark's eye...


Cheri rescued a Sea Hare that she found on the shore....
she worked with him quite a while in the tidal pool...
He finally regained his strength and slowly 'flew' away...underwater!
They are so graceful to watch!

and always, beautiful weather, and sunsets!


Well I will try to do better at posting....and shelling! ;)

Stay tuned, I'm here for a little more than a week yet!

::Shelllady Hugs::

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking us along your trips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i know what that mystery cone is! its one that i dont think has ever been found on Sanibel before! Conus mus....the mouse cone....normally in SE Florida and Caribbean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Steve!!! I never could find anything about it so That's awesome!!!

      Delete