Shelllady

Shelllady

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Catching up...Happy Halloween!

I have to start this post out with an apology, I have neglected my posting, so I will attempt to catch-up here in this one post. There are shelling trips to Bowman's Beach, Lighthouse and Blind Pass, so I have been all over the place!

Since my last post, I went to Bowman's Beach. I am not very familiar with it, but plan on becoming more familiar as time goes, especially since the very first thing I found was this!


 A Beautiful piece of Junonia! .....I've found many pieces but never this dark mahogany color, or this large...you can bet I did a lot of searching for the rest of it! ;) . There was a lot of Orange at Bowmans....the picture doesn't do it justice, They were very bright....
 Lots of shell piles all over the beach....
 Unfortunately, not much in them but plain ol' white shells...
 This Lace Murex even had some orange in it....
And the water here was very nice, more like the color it used to be....
 For some reason, these Oyster groups intrigued me...so they went in my shell bag....I'll figure out something cool to do with them...

Does anyone else see a heart?
 Just look how tiny this little Scallop is!
 This was the only Flat (ZigZag) Scallop I found, it had a tiny chip out of the top, but I kept it anyway...
 I also found a Rose Tellin, one of my favorites. They are few and far between...


 The next day was a trip back to the lighthouse.  I found a very colorful Nutmeg...just barely buried...see it?

 Nice size and color...
 Can never resist an Angel Wing, even if it is covered in Barnacles
 ...and check out the size of this Wentletrap!! I found it buried like the Nutmeg, it measures nearly an inch long! If it had it's little tip it probably would have been!! Gotta Love the Wentles!
 The last 2 finds of the day were these Alphabet Cones....Very close to each other, partially buried....Such a great way to end the day!!!!
 There was a small little Horse Conch buried with this one!
 The water at the Lighthouse continues to be like root beer....
  But I was still able to find some more Wentletraps...
as well as some other Minis...



I had heard that a shell pile came in at Blind Pass, so I had to go check it out.  I had Shellcrafters the day before, but figured the shells would still be there....and they were! It almost looks like a mountain of shells....
The first thing I found was a Carrier shell, they are not particularly beautiful, but unusual, so into the shell bag it went!
I walked the beach for a while before sitting down to sift through the mound of shells and found yet another piece of a Helmet shell, one day.....this is on my bucket list to find whole...
The water was beautiful here also....looks tropical doesn't it?!
Back at the shell pile, I found a few small shells...
A nice colorful Florida Conch, Gaudy Nautica, Shiny Olive and a tiny Horse Conch!  Pretty quickly after I sat down the sun began to set, so I had to take lots of pics....here is my favorite...
The last evening low tide, I spent at the lighthouse....My camera wouldn't work properly, so I only got a few pictures with my phone...one of this Awesome Tulip!!!
....and a calm night at the lighthouse...


Beautiful....and The noseeums chased me in....!!

So we are up to today, the first day shelling before the sun came up, Low tides are now early morning.  We are not supposed to use flashlights up until Nov. 1st because it is turtle season, and they could confuse the nesting turtles.  Well even though I charged up my favorite flashlight, I grabbed the wrong one, and had very little light out there...Let me tell you it's DARK out on the island, especially with the Gulf of Mexico, no city lights on one side....but AMAZING stars!  My light was not very good, so the shelling didn't really start until after the sun came up....which is always amazing!

....I figured out the camera issue, but didn't take many pics, so here is what I found the last two days combined.  


They are taking a bath in bleach water....

Stay tuned, I will be much more organized tomorrow am, and will give you a much better post! The tides will be going lower every day until I leave next week....I'll keep looking for the rest of that Junonia!! ;)

::Shelllady Hugs::



4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing! As always, I enjoy all of your information and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great info and pictures! Love to see your finds.

    ReplyDelete