Shelllady

Shelllady

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The Circle of Life....and some new life, and a fishing trip!!


Life is not always fair.  Sometimes you get a splinter even sliding down a rainbow.  ~Terri Guillemets


I don't have anything special to post, just thought I would update you on the happenings around here.  The mama duck never returned to the eggs in our garden, which is so sad.  Unfortunately we had another visitor though....I was sitting on the top step, and just casually glanced over at the nest, and was startled at what I saw!!.....

In case you can't figure it out, it's a black snake that has dislocated his jaw to swallow one of the duck eggs!! Those eggs are larger than a standard chicken egg, so he's a pretty good sized snake!! I ran into the house and grabbed my camera, ....and my hubby!! I video taped him taking in this one egg, it's really pretty amazing!!


We then decided that we wouldn't let him feast on the rest of them, and proceeded to 'nudge' him along into the woods next door....he really was not at all interested in doing so, so it took us a long time! We finally 'convinced' him, and he slowly went on through the fence into the woods, but I forgot to get a picture of him to show you how long he was....we guessed he was about 4 feet long!!

Just swallowed it....
Talk about stretch marks!!
Slowly moving down!!



I guess we lost that battle!! The eggs had rotted so we went ahead and tossed them over the fence as well, so the 'circle of life' continues! :(


While we were messing with the snake, we saw this guy who was watching too!! (You can see the eggs in the background) That seems to be a favorite corner of the garden for all the wildlife!!




I do have good news though.....my plants are showing signs of new life!! Each of them has sprouted some flowers! While they still look pretty pitiful, each one has shown signs that they may make a comeback!! Check it out!!


My Mother's Day Petunia!!
My Mother's Day Plant from Jess!!
....and the white is blooming on my Patriotic plant!!



Maybe they will come back completely, at least there are signs of life on all of them!!

My Dad and I went fishing last weekend, we went super early so we could leave early evening and get home at a decent hour, so I could get up Monday morning to go to work!  We had a few strikes, but only caught one bass that passed the limit, so we sent him free so he could grow up!  It was so calm and so beautiful there that morning before the heat set in, I took a few pictures to share with you....notice the minnows stirring up the water!  




We saw some more cypress knees that seemed to be posing for us.....what do you see?  Click on the pics to look at them full sized!!




I hope you all have a great...rest of the week!

::hugs::

Cheri




1 comment:

  1. Your plants just may come back fully. You must be giving them plenty of TLC!

    Those cypress knees are awesome. I love them, and take pics of them too!

    Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete