Shelllady

Shelllady

Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Slow and Steady Morning

I have mentioned before that my favorite type of shelling is tidal pool shelling. You just walk along slowly, (without making a splash) and look. I especially love it when there are buried shells there....that big cone I got yesterday was like that....

Today I was in a small tidal pool slow and steady....and was just picking up a shell here and there, checking out the life also, everything from Crabs, sea stars, live shells....I just love it! The best therapy there is!  

I've only seen one other of these in my 20 something years of shelling....a live Baby's Ear! A friend of mine was talking about them yesterday....and here one is!

Their body is huge and would NEVER fit inside this shell!! How cool is this??

There were several Live True Tulips...

This guy (another True Tulip) was out of the water so I took advantage of it and snapped his pic as I was putting him in the tidal pool...look at that gorgeous color!!



Another beautiful Nine-Armed Sea Star and Horse Conch....
and a Horse Conch Family!! ;)

and yes I got those 2 Shark's eyes!! :)

Once again, when I first got out there I found this guy!!

This is becoming a trend!!
 Right after this I got this one!!!!! Can you tell what it is??

Yep that's it...it's a Baby Junonia, and though it's in really bad shape, it's mostly complete!! I actually saw the spots buried among some other shells and thought it was an Alphabet Cone! I'll take it anyway, even in bad shape it's a find!!

Right after that I found this BEAUTIFUL Chocolate True Tulip!
and Woohoo...it was empty!! So into my bag it went!!
By now the sun began to rise...




I don't know if it was the added visibility of the sun or just timing...then I ran across these two guys!! 


Alphabet Cones that will cleanup Nicely!! Both perfect!! I'd say this is a pretty good morning!!

I continued to find more treasures! A Lightning Whelk I couldn't resist...


a Gaudy Nautica, one of my favorites!

I found this lacey Lace Murex partially buried, and it was pink! 


I'm sure it was in some sort of sediment that caused the color, I noticed that pretty quickly the pink disappeared as it soaked in some bleach water.

So I'd say I had a pretty good morning...wouldn't you??


Still low Negative tides so stay tuned! ....and it's finally beginning to warm up!!!

::Shelllady Hugs::


3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. We're in landlocked IL and I just love when I find one of your posts in my email. I've never seen a live Baby's Ear, so that picture was out of this world for me. You find the most fantastic shells. Thank you for sharing your experiences. Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ChasinRainbows2, Thanks so much for coming along!

      Delete