Shelllady

Shelllady

Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Low Tide Life, Rescues and a Few Treasures

 Liz and I went out to the beach this morning and I'm sad to say the tides are not as low as they were but we still were able to find some treasures and see some cool things!!  One of the the neatest things to me was I found another Mantis Shrimp....this one was VERY Much alive! 



I keep my distance, even with my rubber boots on! He was above the water line so I carefully got him nearer to the water He's about 3/4 the length of my size 9 boot!!.... 
Check out these videos!


This guys are said to deliver quite a blow, that will leave a hole in your skin, and are said to be very painful! They fascinate me...from a healthy distance! Here is what Google says "I never explained very well how these guys can injure you so I googled it and this is what they said....

"mantis shrimp's powerful punch can hurt humans. A shrimp can land before a person even realizes it is there because its strike is so quick. Shrimp punches cause deep wounds and lacerations with rounded edges. There is almost always a loss of tissue after a mantis strike and heavy bleeding." So I keep my distance when trying to help these guys.....Though I did move him with my boot! 

There were quite a few of these Amazing Lightning Whelks patrolling this morning....I love it when they put their shell on their head like a hat and go cruisin'...

This Apple Murex with the curly tail was just napping....



Of course there were still a lot of Live Horse Conchs out there, but I figured you had seen enough of them lately....

This little tiny Murex was cruisin' on a Cross-barred Venus!

and this purplish Thorny Starfish was up on the shore, so I transferred him to the water...

It was another beautiful Sunrise! I was so busy shelling I almost missed it!!


At one point today Liz and I were walking side by side and we each picked up an Alphabet Cone...as if they are common!?!

Here's Liz's....

and here's mine!! 
Liz also found another cone and a Horse conch that was unoccupied....
I got one too!!

and another cone for me!!
I also found this cute little Nutmeg!
Liz found another GOLDEN OLIVE!!! Score of the day!!! Isn't it pretty?
Here are our finds for the day!!

Liz's....

and Mine... 

I haven't quite decided yet if I'm going out tomorrow....Stay Tuned!!

::Shelllady Hugs::



















No comments:

Post a Comment