Shelllady

Shelllady

Saturday, September 16, 2017

No More Irma Cones and Lightning....Alphabet Cones and Lightning Whelks!

First let me say that Sanibel Island and Fort Myers are getting better everyday, people all over this island and on the coast are working hard to get the trees and limbs cut up, stacked up and organized. Every day another store or restaurant opens for business, it's all coming together, it will just take time.

Several of the public beach accesses on Sanibel Island have been closed since Hurricane Irma skipped by, today the Lighthouse access opened, so I thought I would give it a try. I went there about mid-tide, halfway between High tide and Low tide, High noon....but I just couldn't wait! I piled on the sunscreen, grabbed my shell bag...(plus and extra one) and off I went!

It was so much fun...I will keep the words to a minimum and let the pictures do the talking...I cut so many, but had to share!

The first thing I started seeing was Lightning Whelks....NICE sized ones...and all were empty!!


I got so many that I had to go through them and pick out my favorites, and put the rest back for someone else!
I did this 3 different times! Culling out the ones I had to have, and leaving the rest, the "extra" shell bag was nearly full! I finally refused to look at any more!
I found this Old Fossil Lightning Whelk and had to check him out....
When I turned him over, I had to laugh....a youngster was along for the ride!

There must have been hundreds of Banded tulips...I could pass those up, but the True Tulips, had to come home with me!! The colors were amazing!



Kings Crown (left) and True Tulip
Horse Conchs are one of my Favorites, especially the Medium size ones...This one looks like it might be an Albino (all White) one when it gets cleaned up! All had good sharp points....and will be amazing after soaking in some bleach water for a while....will have to post the 'after' pictures another day!




I found several Gaudy Nauticas....they are becoming a favorite also...
 Of course I can't pass up a Sharks Eye, especially when it's next to an Angel Wing....I think there is a special message to me there! ;)
 Another Horse Conch, Sharks eye, Florida Cone, True Tulip and Kings Crown
 I couldn't resist this Apple Murex with such vivid Color and More Shark's Eyes
 I found Several Pear Whelks, had to start turning my head when I saw those also!
I made up my mind I wasn't leaving until I found an Alphabet cone! There was everything else there, there had to be at least one!
Then I saw it....just under the surface....see it?
SCORE! It was the smallest I have seen! I was so excited!
...and right next to it....Another one!!
...and another

I thought I had found 5, until right now, I just realized I have 6!! Can you imagine? I decided it was time to head back to our Condo, grab some dinner...and come back at Low Tide...My bags were full in 2 hours!
I showed my Hubby and he was as tickled as I was! We had a quick early Dinner, and on the way back he decided he'd come along!! ;)


The Lightning Whelks I told him about were gone, either buried or taken, and the beach was very different in that 2 hours I was gone, but he managed to do just fine! 

 I haven't emptied his bag yet, but just reached into the top and grabbed a handful to snap pics of... He said he thought he'd try to get as many Alphabet cones as I did....! Almost!!

Lightning Whelk, 2 Shark's eyes, 3 Alphabet Cones, a Nutmeg another Shark's eye and a Pear Whelk!
I will have to work on checking that bag out tomorrow!!! On the way home, we both talked about what fun that was! Ultimate Therapy, Beach Therapy!

Stay Tuned! The Adventures Continue!

::Shelllady Hugs::

8 comments:

  1. OMG!!! You're killing me. I knew the shelling would be awesome but this is beyond awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It truly is Kim, It was overwhelming, just too much to see all at once. Isn't that a wonderful problem to have?! ;D

      Delete
  2. Cheri
    Glad to hear you didn't sustain any damage. Great shells! I guess if there is an upside to the downer known as Irma it would be a plentiful supply of shells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey RC!! We are so fortunate to have missed the bullseye with Irma, unfortunately that means someone else got it instead. There still are a lot of changes around the island....so many piles of trees and debris. But we feel so fortunate, humbled and appreciative! The shells are hot and cold, hoping new tides and winds will continue to bring new treasures! So glad to hear from you!!

      Delete
  3. Amazing! You are quickening my shelling heartbeat with all of your fantastic finds, Cheri! :) Thank you so much for sharing. Three week countdown for us to return to our beloved home away from home on Sanibel. Oct 4th can't come soon enough :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, So much fun, but so much change with the landscape here. I hope the water will soon clear and you can thoroughly enjoy your home away from home!!

      Delete
  4. They are beautiful! We were glad to not have to cancel our vacation but we have had no shelling luck. We have 3 kids with us. Any advice on where to look? Where were you when you found those?

    ReplyDelete