Shelllady

Shelllady

Monday, December 18, 2023

One Final Post for 2023, One final Beach Walk, One Final Sunrise

 On Mondays I have Sanibel Shellcrafters. The traffic on the causeway has been terrible Monday mornings as the causeway is under construction, as well as many many businesses on the island since Hurricane Ian. There's just too many people, mostly construction folks trying to get into two lanes and on island in the mornings. So I've been cheating the last 2 weeks! I head out super early, beat the workers across the bridge, and walk the beach for a couple hours before Shellcrafters! Win-Win, right?? I would much rather enjoy the sunrise, shell a little and do a little bird watching before heading to the Community House. Who cares what the the tides are?? It's just a little early morning therapy! Much better than sitting in the car with lots of other folks trying to merge down to one lane.....much more relaxing to do it this way!!! This will be my last walk this year, we are heading north for Christmas, and then hopefully back soon!


So this morning I went, and it was just coming off of high tide, I didn't figure I would find much....I saw lots of life out there! several of these coveted Florida Horse Conchs.....


I thought I had taken more pictures, but I saw at least 4 of these.....

This guy, is also a Florida Horse Conch, with a large Hermit crab who has made it his home! His home was gorgeous, but I consider this 'live' as well, so I took his pic and bid him a good morning....


I saw many live True Tulips, Banded Tulips, and Apple Murex....wonderful to see. Apparently I didn't take any pictures. so sorry for that! But I did get a picture of my last sunrise from the beach, and as usual, it is glorious!


I have to apologize for not snapping more pictures, I guess I was 'in the moment'!
Here are my finds for the day, not bad for a short beach walk during high tide!?

On the left is a sea whip (I use these in crafts a lot), The top are Dosinia pair that I paint, below that are Paper figs, below that on the left are Lightning Whelks, to their right are true Tulips and then Horse Conchs, bottom right are Shark's eyes and Scallops.

I got to looking closely at the sea whip as I was getting ready to clean it, and there is a tiny Atlantic Winged Oyster attached to it....I don't think it's alive as the shell is barely open and I don't see anything in it....isn't that tiny?? You can compare it to the end of my finger.....I love it!!


I just wanted to wish you and yours a Merry Christmas and a Happy Happy New Year, and I will see you here, next year!!!

Stay Tuned! 
::Shelllady Hugs::






No comments:

Post a Comment