Shelllady

Shelllady

Monday, April 24, 2023

New Moon Tides: The Last Week and a Few updates!

 As normal for me lately, I've gotten too 'busy' having fun to update this blog. I'll just say I'll try to do better and leave it at that! As of yesterday We have left the tropical 80 degree sunny weather of Fort Myers and are currently in the 40-50 degree rainy days of spring in Virginia. Boy do I miss it already! 


I spent a lot of my time in Florida working at the Sanibel Community House, continuing to clean/organize the shells that had gotten messed up during Hurricane Ian, we got a lot done and are currently organizing and making plans for the Shell Festival next fall. Unfortunately we have lost a lot of Shellcrafters who are experts at shell crafting, so this will be a large learning curve for many of us! But we are up to the task! The Community House has gotten new sheetrock and the rebuild is well underway, and Sanibel Island improves every day! Periodically beaches/beach parking is opening, restaurants are slowly opening, the lack of resorts and places for folks to stay is the most obvious, hopefully the progress will continue, Sanibel Strong!!

First an update....remember this Horse Conch I found from a previous post??

                            Before:

Here it is after a long bleach soak and work with some dental picks and tools....

                                    After:


The work is worth it, right?! How nice is this??

I finally filled up my Alphabet Cone Cylinder! It's about 14" tall, and it takes a lot of Cones to fill! I guess I'm going to have to find another way to store them! :)

 

A couple weeks ago,  I learned quickly that due to the resorts along the beach being damaged by the Hurricane (no lights), and the changed landscape, night shelling can be pretty scary these days. I walked too far one night and talked myself into a panic trying to get back to the car!! So the new moon again brought evening low tides so I decided to take advantage of my last week in paradise and going for evening strolls! This time, planning on being back before dark! Besides Turtle season has now started so only red lights on the beach after dark!!

The first night I stumbled on 'bubbling water'....obviously there was something there stirring up the water....


stepping a little closer I noticed lots and lots of fish!! I knew what this meant, somewhere out there would soon be a dolphin or shark coming for an evening snack!
Luckily it was a dolphin this time, actually a couple of them....it was difficult to catch them, but I finally did. They were circling them and then would 'cut through the center, probably getting a mouthful of fish in the process! 

I didn't find many shells this trip but, enjoyed the show, and of course the sunset over the island!
Although the island looks hurt badly there seems to be something every day that reminds you that things are improving, whether it be a truck heading on island with palm trees or plants or truckloads of sod. On the beach, everything seems the same until you look toward the buildings, slowly that is all improving but it will take a long time, but it's happening! 

On the beach I saw lots of signs of new life....Live Horse Conchs, (my most favorite size)

Live Banded Tulips galore...
Live True Tulips....
I even found a metal rod that had become a home for some arks....


I did manage to find a few treasures to take home.....
Look at the color of this beauty!!! (sorry for the bad focus!)


Another one...a little bit bigger...

and another, bigger yet!!! (This one is for my neighbor, he likes putting them in his garden!!)

I found quite a few Nutmegs, check out how big this one is, and the color is beautiful!
Here is all the treasures I found last week, they need a bit more cleaning, but I'd say it was a pretty good haul! Look how bright that first Horse Conch is!! I just love them, it might be my favorite....or one of them any way! ;)

The Highlight for me this week was that my friend Lynne took me to the Lighthouse. To me the Lighthouse is what I think of when I think of Sanibel. They lit the light again on February 28th after it was damaged from Hurricane Ian, they repaired a leg, and it lost all of the buildings that surrounded it. It's still standing strong, and it meant so much to me to see it in all it's glory, even damaged, still strong!



There were all kinds of life in the gulf at her base to include this glorious Lightning Whelk...check out her pink "tail"....



and we found lots of Live Kings Crowns....here's just one!
These were carefully placed into the water after their photo shoots!

I was there 2 months this time, I could easily make this permanent! I feel like I helped, both working and with the economy, and though it is so sad to see, and to hear the stories from my friends, I still feel like part of the community. I hope to return soon! They're working hard to come back, give them a hand if you get the chance! Stay tuned!

::Shelllady Hugs::










No comments:

Post a Comment