Shelllady

Shelllady

Thursday, September 24, 2020

A Synopsis


 I'm sorry that I have been lax in my posting this trip. The shelling hasn't been great but I have had a few little adventures....and there is always the BEAUTIFUL Sunrises and Sunsets...and the wildlife never disappoints! Most of the low tides were in the evening, and that is generally when we do our 'Walk and Talks' but I did get to the Lighthouse for the sunrise a couple of mornings. 

(These pelicans decided to photobomb my picture!) :) I love these guys!  


The lighthouse is normally my place to go to see a beautiful sunrise, wildlife and birds... sometimes shells and nice walk on a nice flat beach. 


This trip I've seen some cool stuff....Like this Calico Crab...I love these little guys...



Since (then Tropical Storm) Sally came by we had a weekend of rain...(13 inches reported on Sanibel) and some pretty strong winds...it brought in some interesting things

A Live Angel Wing!....this is an unusual sight as they usually bury themselves deep in the mud...



We also saw a few of these Sea Cucumbers (I think) up on the beach

I believe this guy is called a Lesser Puffer fish...sadly, he didn't make it....
and lots of Moon Jellies all over the beach....Cheri and I spent a lot of time putting them in the water and flipping them right side up! These guys are really big!!! 

I did find a few special shells.... Love those Flats!!! (Zig-Zag Scallops)

I picked up all these Wentletraps in one spot!!! 
I love the minis....these are from another trip!
I absolutely love these Atlantic Winged Oysters...the inside is Mother of pearl iridescent...impossible to photograph!! This one was live, so he went back into the gulf...the first live one I have found!
I did find one Alphabet Cone...so far!  This is as found....do you see it? Always look for spots!
Not a great point on it, but of course I kept it!


and who can resist the Orange Scallops?...not me!!
Another favorite is a Gaudy Nautica....Just look at the colors on this guy! Cheri Picked this one up....it's perfect!

On one of our 'Walk and Talks' we saw a pod of Manatee...These are such awesome creatures....and HUGE!! 


Many years ago, Jess and I took a trip down here to Florida and we actually swam with them! It was awesome...and pretty scary at first since they are so very large, but they are gentle giants, but I would never get too close to them in the wild. If you see them, just look, don't try to touch them or hamper them!

I did have a one great day shelling....Here are the highlights!!
That's a gorgeous Horse Conch, a Baby Scotch Bonnet !! and a nice Lace Murex!! The Horse Conch is soaking in bleach water and is cleaning up very nicely!... Look at that gorgeous color!!! 


(BTW, that is an Atlantic Winged Oyster right next to it in this picture, and you can barely see that Iridescent inside!)

Besides the beach walks, I have pretty much remained home, making a trip now and then to the grocery store and a couple trips to Sanibel Shellcrafters...It's different since we have to maintain the distance and wear masks....but still fun...I made a few of these puppy dogs from local shells...aren't they cute??

I also have been painting....and hiding more shells...it has become addicting and Great therapy!  Our trip is quickly coming to a close, we are heading to our other home in only a few days, I intend on posting again before we leave so stay tuned!

::Shelllady Hugs::





PS....Let me leave you with one of the Beautiful Sunsets of Sanibel...







 

No comments:

Post a Comment